|This utility was written back in 1999. Where
was it when I needed it? I've thrown away at least 50 floppies since 1999.
This utility promises to reformat most floppy disks that the regular
format chokes on. It also will format a 1.44mb disk so that it hold
1.72mb. Now that's a bonus.
Quote from the website http://ieeecrce.tripod.com/innovations99/tformat/
- Format disks even if they have bad sectors
on track zero
- Format standard 1.44 MB disks for 1.72 MB
using standard hardware (Almost 20% gain in capacity). This is achieved
without any kind of data compression.
- No drivers or TSRs need to be installed
- Verify-Only option for previously formatted
floppies speeds up format by about 60%
- Wipe-Only option serves to quickly and
easily clear disks of their contents, even if there are multiple
sub-directory levels and errors like cross-linked files and lost
- Disks formatted with SmartFormat have less
bad (unusable) space than when formatted with DOS or Windows.
- Rather than the unintelligible hexadecimal
numbers used by other format programs for disk serial numbers (like
1B2C-19F4), SmartFormat uses the date and time. For example, a disk
formatted at 11:35 PM on 15th September has serial number 2335-1509.
- User friendly interface. Fully descriptive
and easy to understand error messages.