Lame - convert WAV to MP3
Lame is an open source project that supports the creation of MP3 files from other audio formats. The other day I was looking for an easy way to convert some huge WAV music files into MP3 so I could reduce their size. I found out that all I had to do was unzip Lame to a folder and drag and drop my WAV files one at a time, onto the lame.exe. It's very fast and the MP3 files appear in the same folder the WAV files were in. Lame is a command line utility so don't expect to see a Windows interface pop up.
Tip from Clif:
You can add "Convert WAV to MP3" to your "Sendto" right click menu. Just follow my instructions to add this handy item.
1. Extract the Lame downloaded zip file into a folder somewhere on your hard drive. I unpacked it into C:\Program Files\Lame.
2. Right click on lame.exe and "Create Shortcut".
3. Rename the shortcut to "Convert WAV to MP3" or whatever else you like.
4. Right click and "Cut" the new shortcut.
5. Click on the "Start" button and choose "Run".
6. In the "Run" dialog box, type in the word "sendto", and press the Enter button. This should open your Sendto shortcuts folder.
7. Right click in the Sendto folder and "Paste" the shortcut into the folder.
8. If you have trouble doing any of this, let me know.
This uses the lame.exe file above and all you have to do to convert a WAV file is right click on it and choose "Sendto" and then choose "Convert WAV to MP3". The MP3 file will appear in the same folder as the WAV file.
Quote from the website -
# MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
# CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
# Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL or ACM codec (Windows)
# Free format encoding and decoding
# GPSYCHO: a GPL'd psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
# Powerfull and easy to use presets
# Quality better than all other encoders at most bitrates.
# Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
# MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.